erhaps the greatest power that a person possesses is the power to choose. Every day of our lives we are faced with many different kinds of choices. Mundane choices, ho hum choices such as what to wear and what to eat; what to watch on TV and which radio station to listen to. These choices are sometimes made with little thought or enthusiasm.
Other choices require soul-searching, in-depth thinking, a conscious effort, honest appraisal of a situation. Most of those types of choices are life-changing. Most situations are a matter of choice. The power of choice is inspiring.
Francois Marie Voltaire, one of France’s greatest writers and philosophers wrote these words: “life itself is a sum of all our choices. Life is all about choices.”
Each day, we are faced with coping with life and its challenges. Every day we are often faced with an important choice. How will we live the day? Will it be a good day or will we look forward to a miserable day? A positive attitude can make everyday living better. Life can become more meaningful, goals can become more attainable and the future can be more exciting and productive. A negative attitude can lead to destruction. We are either the master of our attitude – or the victim! It’s a matter of personal choice. The choice is ours.
Is your Attitude causing you problems?
You can tell that it is when…
• You don’t expect to succeed, so you’re defeated before you even start.
• You look to the future in resignation and to the past in regret.
• You always find more reasons why something won’t work than why it can.
• You’re convinced that you’re never going to get any better than you are right now.
• You believe that the glass is half empty but only temporarily, because you’re going to have even less after some evaporates
However, when your Attitude is positive…
• You feel in charge of life and ask what more can you do to make it better.
• Success is never a matter of “if,” only a matter of “when”.
• You first know that anything is possible — then you figure out how.
• You can’t wait until tomorrow because you keep getting better every day.
• You believe the glass is half full, but only temporarily, because you’ve got your order in for more, and you’re busy getting bigger glasses.
If we want to enjoy life and live it to the fullest we must learn to develop a positive attitude. A positive attitude can be powerful. It helps us to cope more easily with the daily affairs of life. It brings optimism into our lives and makes it easier to avoid worry and negative thinking.
The Desiderata is a wonderful poem that can help encourage us to find a positive way of life.
A positive attitude can lead to happiness and success and can change your whole life. If you look at the bright side of life, your whole life becomes filled with light. This light affects not only you and the way you look at the world, but also your whole environment and the people around you. If it is strong enough, it becomes contagious.
Positive thinking is a mental attitude that admits into the mind thoughts, words and images that are conducive to growth, expansion and success. Positive thinking is a mental attitude that expects good and favorable results. A positive mind anticipates happiness, joy, and a successful outcome of every situation and action. Whatever the mind expects it usually finds.
Our attitude IS important!
It affects how we look, what we say and what we do. It affects how we feel physically, mentally and spiritually and it largely affects how successful we are in achieving our purpose and goals in life.
Tom Blandi once wrote:
“Our attitudes control our lives. Attitudes are a secret power working twenty-four hours a day, for good or bad. It is of paramount importance that we know how to harness and control this great force.”
Not everyone accepts or believes in positive thinking. Some consider the subject as just nonsense, and others scoff at people who believe and accept it.
It is quite common to hear people say: “Think positive!” to someone who feels down and worried. Most people do not take these words seriously, as they don’t know what it really means, or they don’t consider it as useful and effective. How many people do YOU know that ever stop to think what the power of positive thinking can do?
To me, a positive thinker sees the bright side of life. Positive thinking is a state of mind, which focuses on the full half of the glass and not on the empty half. It is a mental attitude that expects positive results.
How can you develop a positive attitude that will lead you to happiness and success? Well – there are some things you can do.
• Choose to be happy. Happiness is am internal attitude, not an external situation. When you wake up in the morning make the choice to be happy. Abraham Lincoln once said that people are as happy as they make up their mind to be.
Being happy does not mean everything is perfect. It means you have decided to see beyond life’s imperfections. That is what a positive attitude is all about – seeing beyond the imperfections in people, and situations and life.
• Look at the bright side of life. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and I always try to apply it in every situation. Arriving at a intersection just when the light is about to turn red. Standing in line behind someone who is taking forever to pay for their groceries.
• Find reasons to smile and laugh more often. Do you take yourself too seriously? Cultivate a sense of humor and get some fun out of life.
• Have faith in yourself and in the Power of the Universe.
• Associate yourself with happy and positive people. This is of prime importance.
• Read inspiring stories.
• Read inspiring quotes.
• Repeat affirmations that inspire and motivate you. Keep them on your desk at work, on your fridge at home, in your car on the dashboard or sun visor, on your night table where you can see them just before you turn off the light.
• Visualize only what you want to have happen. Visualization activates our subconscious mind.
Visualization is a tried and true technique that helps you create the things you want in life. Creative Visualization is the art of sending an image – a picture to your subconscious mind.
Your subconscious mind creates your reality based on a number of messages you send to it. It then picks up this visualization or picture and begins creating what it sees.
The key to understanding how visualization works is to first understand that your subconscious mind does not know what is real and what is fiction. It simply creates your reality based on the image that you visualize.
So if you visualize yourself struggling, poor, unhappy, single or depressed then this is the reality that your subconscious mind creates. If you can visualize yourself as a happy, spiritual, positive person and do it enough times, it can come true.
Many people use visualization in their daily lives. I dare say most of you here today use visualization.
• Learn to meditate. Meditation is not just a method to relax the body, as some people think. It is much more than that. Its earnest performance leads to freedom from obsessing, nagging thoughts and worries, and to inner balance, peace of mind and inner strength, and may also lead to spiritual awakening and enlightenment.
Though it plays an important role in various religions and spiritual practices, meditation is actually a practice that is free from all religious connotations.
What else can you do to cultivate a positive attitude?
Be helpful – you’ll build friends fast.
Be patient – some things just necessarily take time to happen or be done right.
Do you have a positive attitude where other people are concerned? That is, are you sincerely interested in other people and their purposes and problems? Do you try to understand the other person’s point of view, how they feel and why they think, look and act as they do?
Smile. Wear a cheerful countenance at all times, and give every living creature you meet a smile. It takes less facial muscles to smile than to frown. Smile even when you answer the telephone. Believe it or not, people can hear a smile. Listen for it sometime. Smiling not only changes a facial expression, but can also make the brain produce endorphins which reduce physical and emotional pain, and give a greater sense of well-being.
Be enthusiastic! Enthusiasm fuels progress – it is the prime method of persuasion without pressure. The more enthusiasm you have the better. Enthusiasm is a magic spark that breeds success in everyone within its radius.
Be considerate of others. Be dependable. Take pride in your work, whatever it may be. As it says in the Desiderata – it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Try to see the good in all things no matter how mundane they seem to be.
But sometimes, we let ourselves get bogged down with negativity. What can we do to get rid of any negative attitudes we might have?
Believe in yourself. You are unique in this world – and so are your talents. The real secret of a successful person is the absolute confidence they have in themselves and their abilities. Enter every activity without giving mental recognition to the possibility of defeat. Concentrate on your strengths instead of your weaknesses. A positive mental attitude is rooted in clear, calm and honest self-confidence.
Care about other people. There’s no better example of a positive attitude than the Golden Rule. That is, treat people the same way you want to be treated.
Get fun out of life. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Laugh and the world laughs with you – cry and you cry alone. Studies have proven that when we laugh, there is an actual chemical change in our bodies that helps to ease pain and release stress. Laughter is a coping mechanism for the normal stress of life.